Crockett Website

Home | What's New | Contact Us | Site Map |
Last update: June 2013

  Robert Clarkson

  Ruth Clarkson

  Ozro Crockett

  Mary Crockett

  Earl & Della

  Crockett Clan




Beckside was the industrial side of town, on the East, down by the Hull River. Beck is a canal that ran from the Hull River west toward Beverley.


The county of Yorkshire is divided into three Ridings, East, North and West. Beverley is famous for being the home of the Beverley Minster, the finest Gothic church in Yorkshire, which was built in the 13th century.

A great college was built in Beverley in the year 700, by the archbishop of York. The city had three famous hospitals and two friaries, so it once was a rather large city. During Robert's time, it was a pretty town with a large market and four parishes with a population of about 10,000 people. The town is at the east foot of some hills called the Wolds, and is about a mile west of the Hull River. The country to the east is flat, but the parts adjacent are fertile and well-wooded. All was anciently swampy; then covered with forest; later cleared for fuel and for cultivation. Around Beverley, fragments of chalk cliff can be seen, relics of the original coastline. The town is surrounded by common pastures. Beverley today ranks as one of the more gracious towns in all England.

Map of Hull/Beverley Area in 1850.


Bradford is located about 85 miles west of Beverley in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Information on Modern Bradford.

Pictures from the area around Bradford.

Map (250K) of how to get to Bradford.

Cherry Burton

Cherry Burton is a small town located about four miles west of Beverly.


[Image of Edinburgh castle]

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland. Check out Edinburgh's Home Page


Goole is located about 20 miles south west of Beverley in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Grove Hill

Grovehill is a section of Beverley near the river Hull.


About 8 1/2 miles south of Beverley is the city of Hull. Hull was a large city of 95,000 people.

(Map of UK showing where Hull is)
(Map of Hull/Beverley Area in 1850).

Its official name is Kingston on Hull. The River Hull joins the Humber at Hull, which was and is Britain's third largest port after London and Liverpool. Many Elders of the church would come to Hull to board ships which would take them to their European missions.

Hull stands on flat and very low ground, close to the Humber, and partly on the east side of the Hull River, but chiefly on the west side.

(Map of Downtown Hull - 72K).

(Map of Hull Area - 60K).

The country around it for several miles is so low and flat that what would elsewhere be called a swell or rising-ground, ranks there as a good sized hill. There is scarcely any wood except a few scattered trees. In 1830, Hull was a clean, pleasant city with no signs of beggary or filth. But by 1850, the city had assumed the appearance of a gigantic slum, which would remain with little change for the next fifty years. In addition to its natural increase, the town had received newcomers from Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, and it was noted that most of the new arrivals, and especially those from Ireland, would work for wages lower than those which had been customary. In addition to shipping, Hull had a rapid growing cotton industry.

Today, Hull is the home for the University of Hull.

Hull Bridge

Hull Bridge is a section of Beverley


Leven is located eight miles north-east of Beverly.

See Map


[Image of Liverpool]

No seaport was more important in the Mormon migration than Liverpool. Liverpool had many natural advantages. It was centrally located between Great Britain and Ireland. It was quite accessible by rail from London and the eastern ports of England such as Hull. Upwards of 20,000 vessels entered and left Liverpool each year. The traveler would see a forest of masts, for the harbor was filled with crafts of every description.

Liverpool was the site where the first LDS missionaries landed in Britain on 19 July 1837. It was the headquarters of the Church in Britain from 1842 to 1929.

[Image of Liverpool] Albert Docks looking toward the liver buildings

The five impressive buildings which form the Albert Dock complex stand as a reminder of Liverpool's history as a great and prosperous port. Designed and built for Jesse Hartley for the sum of 514,475 8s 1d, and opened by Prince Albert in 1846, these imposing buildings were once overflowing with precious cargoes from foreign lands. The Dock Traffic Office, now home to Granada T.V.'s News Centre was added in 1848 and, in 1852, the Cooperage and Dock Master's House completed the scheme.

However, Docks built to accomodate sailing ships could not provide deep enough water for the new steamships, and after 1890 trade declined, leaving the Albert Dock largely disused until its closure in 1972.

Following a spectacular refurbishment the Albert Dock was restored to its former glory and is now once again a centerpiece of the renowned Merseyside waterfront. The Albert Dock represents Britains largest group of grade one listed buildings and contains one and a quarter million square feet of floor space.

Modern Liverpool
University of Liverpool


Lockington is located about six miles north-west of Beverly, and about 14 miles north-west of Hull. It is on the rail route and had a population of about 450 with 89 houses.

See Map

Logan, Utah

[Image of Logan River]

Logan City was located by Peter Maughan in the spring of 1859. In 1860 the site was surveyed, divided into four wards in 1861, and incorporated in 1866.

Modern Logan
Utah State University

Market Weighton

Market Weighton is located about ten miles west of Beverley.


Newcastle Upon Tyne is a city on the east coast of England, north of Hull.

[Image of newcastle]. Pictures around Newcastle
Newcastle home page
University of Newcastle

Salt Lake City, Utah

The Clarksons arrived, in 1860, to a beautiful, well-kept city with a population of about 8,200. One third of the population consisted at this date of emigrants from Great Britain. By 1870, 65 percent of the population were foreign born. The streets though unpaved and without sidewalks, were lined with cotton-wood and locust trees, acacias, and poplars. Most of the private houses were still of wood or adobe, some few only being of stone. Nearly all were surrounded with gardens in which fruit and shade trees were plentiful. At this date, the entire city, except on its southern side, was enclosed by a wall some ten or twelve feet high, with semibastions placed at half musket-range, and pierced here and there with gateways. The wall was built in 1853. It was built as a defense against the Indians, but some say it was built only because the people wanted work. It was of mud mixed with hay and gravel. By 1860, it had already begun to crumble, and in 1883 there were few traces of it remaining.

[Image of temple square] Modern Salt Lake City
Utah Information
Utah Resources


[Image of Falls]. < a href="">Other photos of North Yorkshire

Scarborough is a fishing village on the coast, 30 miles north of Beverley, located in the North Riding of Yorkshire.


Sheffield is a manufacturing city located in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Check our Sheffield's home page.


Sherburn is a small village near Scarborough, 30 miles north of Beverley, located in the North Riding of Yorkshire.


Sigglesthorn is located about ten miles east of Beverly, across the Hull River.

See Map


Sutton is a small town located seven miles south-east of Beverley, across the Hull River.

See Map


Swine is located seven miles south-east of Beverley, across the Hull River.

See Map


Waghen is a small town located about four miles south-east of Beverley on the Hull River.

See Map


Walkington is located about three miles west of Beverley.

See Map


Westwood is a section of Beverley up a hill and to the west of the center of town. It was a large open commons where many outdoor activities took place. At various times during the year people congregated on Westwood for games, sports and general recreation. On Good Friday and during the mid-summer fair in July, large crowds of people, not only from Beverley but also from Hull and elswhere, went there to enjoy themselves. A cricket match was usually organised, and music was provided for dancing or listening to. A picnic on Westwood was the next best thing to an excursion to the seaside and many children belonging to day schools and Sunday schools from Beverley and outside were taken by their teachers for a day out in Westwood. In 1852, a party of 74 children came to Beverley by train. They walked in procession to the Market Cross, where they sang a hymn. The people of Beverley were touched by the sight of so many children without shoes and funds were raised to help the school. The children went from the town onto Westwood where they played games, and then walked to the Temperance Hall for milk and spice buns.


Williamsburg, had a population of just 3000 people in 1835, and grew to a city of over 40,000 in 1855. It became a favorite home for the skilled workers employed in the booming shipyards on both banks of the river. Williamsburg's history as a city, however was short, for in 1855 it was absorbed by Brooklyn, making that city, with its 205,000 people, the fourth largest in the country.

In 1855, an estimated 7 million people a year used the Jersey City ferries. Williamsburg was served by six steam ferries scheduled to leave at intervals of ten minutes from Peck Slip and every five minutes from Grand Street during the working day or the annual fee of $10. In 1860, the East River ferries carried 32,845,950 passengers. In the 1840's most of the passengers walked from their homes to the landings, but in the 1850's, plank roads were constructed for stages and omnibuses. Planks, however, were quickly overshadowed by rails. By the late 1850's, horsecar lines were operating in the more crowded suburban areas around Brooklyn and Jersey City.

It is not surprising that Robert grew tired of the long journey to Jersey City every day. He would either walk or catch a stage to the dock, board a crowded ferry for Manhattan, ride a stage or train across the city, catch another ferry, and when arriving in Jersey city he would again have to either walk to his work, or catch another stage.

Another map of New York.

New York City Transportation


Wincombe is a district in Hull which many factory workers lived, and wasn't one of the more pleasant sections of the city.





A cooper makes or repairs casks and barrels. As an apprentice, Robert was legally bond through a contract for seven years to learn the trade. Mr Atkinson was 28 years old at the time Robert joined him. Both boys and girls at that time went to work young because of the overwhelming necessity to get every possible penny into the household. In 1850, only forty per cent of the population could sign their names. Among the working class, (the class Robert's family was in), only about a third of the children ages five to fifteen were then at school. Parents sending their children to school had to pay small fees and the temptation to let a boy leave so he could become an errand-boy for a shopkeeper and earn three shillings a week was for most irresistible. Some earned twice this amount and would never return to school after this experience of independence.


When there were enough converts to form a congregation, a branch was organized. There was a branch in Beverley and a larger branch in Hull. A number of contiguous branches would meet together for periodic conferences. Around 1851, there were about 500 Mormons in Hull. These larger groups would then become formal administrative units with defined boundaries and were originally called 'conferences' (until the name was changed to 'districts' in the 1920s to avoid confusion). The first conference in England was formed in 1840, and by the mid 1850s, there were thirty-two. The conferences were grouped into 'pastorates', over which the 'most efficient elders were chosen to preside' as Pastors.

Cut off

"Church discipline was often more public, as members were asked to confess their transgressions in open meeting, and disciplinary actions were decided upon and announced in the conferences as well as in local branch meetings. Today such matters are taken care of in very private disciplinary councils." ("Men With a Mission", p. 103)

Millennial Star

The Millennial Star a church newspaper published in the British Mission. During the first five years of its existence, the Millennial Star was issued monthly, but beginning in mid-1845 it was published twice-monthly. In the mid-1840s there were about 1,500 subscribers, but by 1852 the number had reached 22,000. Then, the Star became a weekly, and the price per issue was reduced from threepence to one penny.


An omnibus at that time was a word used for any public vehicle for passengers. One went to Hull every Sunday. The roads at that time involved what was called "turnpiking". This involved the placing of toll-gates near the end of a road, where payments were taken from all those except foot travellers who passed along it. The tolls were used to improve the road surfaces. Beverley's tollhouses and gates stood on the outskirts of the town. At that time, they were small and unsightly,' especially the on in New Walk which was pulled down in 1852. Traffic on turnpikes dropped after 1846 when the railroad came. However, they survived for another twenty years. In 1850, it was reported in the newpaper that light horse vans were about to start up in Beverley because of high rail prices, so compition still existed for some time.


A Pastor presided over a group of conferences, which consisted of a group of branches. The duty of the Pastor was stated in the Millennial Star "It is the duty of a Pastor to set an example of diligence to all the officers over whom he presides...A Pastor should not only visit the Conferences under his charge as often as circumstances will admit, but he should make it convenient to visit the several Branches as often as possible; he should diligently inquire concerning the condition and welfare of each Branch, strengthen the Saints, and set in order the things which are wanting."

Temperance Halls

During this time, the middle classes were shocked by the increased drunkenness among the working classes. A great "temperance" movement arose for total abstinence. Temperance halls were built and used for meetings and socials associated with the temperance movement. Much was achieved by this movement including restrictions on the sale of drink to children. The pub played a great part in the life of the poor. In it, societies, clubs, and unions would have their head quarters. These Temperance Halls gave another, more wholesome place to meet. Talks were given on literature, history, music, and religion, as well as on the need for abstinence from strong drink. Music played a very important part of the program.


Isabell Adamson

Isabell Adamson was the 17 year old daughter of Thomas and Sarah Adamson.

Thomas Adamson

Thomas Adamson was a member of the church in Beverley. For a time he was assigned to take care of the rent for the room in which the branch would meet. Robert Clarkson was assigned to visit this family in his priesthood office. Thomas had difficulties being a strong church member. In May of 1856, he and his family moved to Hull and soon he was cut off from the church. They moved back to Beverley in December of 1856.

Sarah Adamson

Sarah Adamson was the wife of Thomas Adamson. They were members of the church in Beverley.

Jane Ann Allen

Jane Ann Allen was a member of the church in Beverley, most likely the daughter of Sister Allen

Sister Allen

Sister Allen was a member in Beverley. She was baptized in Jan, 1852

John Eyre Atkinson

John Eyre Atkinson was a Cooper in Beverley for whom Robert Clarkson worked as an apprentice. Because of this obligation to Mr. Atkinson, Robert was not able to emigrate to Utah for awhile.

Moses Clough

Moses Clough was a missionary from Utah who was on his way to Prussia (Germany). He, Orson Spencer, and Jacob Houtz were called to go there at the October 1852 conference in Salt Lake City.

Jan Bradley

Jan Bradley was an inactive member of the church in Beverley who was later excommunicated.

John Calvin

John Calvin was a counselor in the Bishopric, in Robert's ward in Salt Lake City.

Charles Robert Clarkson

Charles Robert Clarkson was Robert Clarkson's son He grew up to be a fine boy, married Alvira Stout of Holladay in the Endowment House, and raised a large family. Alivra Stout was the daughter of the famous Mormon Pioneer, Hosea Stout.

Family Group Sheet

Hannah Hough Clarkson

Hannah Hough was a Danish widow who was Robert's third wife. Her first husband named Odean Hough died at Salt Lake City.

Henry Clarkson

Henry Clarkson was the first member of the Clarkson family to join the church in 1845. In 1853 he and his wife were cut off from the church. He then went off to the gold fields in Australia.

Family Group Sheet

Matthew Clarkson

Matthew Clarkson was Robert's father. He joined the church in February 1852, on his way to Australia.

Family Group Sheet

Ruth Clarkson

Ruth was the second daughter born to Robert and Ann Clarkson. The first daughter died as a small child. Ruth lived to be 89 years old and kept a journal throughout much of her life. Both her parents died when she was a child and she was raised by her step-mother. She was close to the George Q. Cannon family and she married Ozro Ozias Crockett. They raised a large family and settled in Preston Idaho.

Family Group Sheet

Sarah Dowell Rogers Clarkson

Sarah Dowell, Robert Clarkson's house keeper for own week, was the widow of a Mr. Rogers. Robert married her quickly after the death of his wife, Ann Clegg.

Family Group Sheet

Hyrum B. Clawson

Hyrum B Clawson was also a member of the 17th Quorum of Seventies. He served a diplomatic mission in Salt Lake and elsewhere 1855-77. He was the first treasurer of Great Salt Lake City and was adjutant-general of the Nauvoo Legion (in Utah). He was the first superintendent of Z.C.M.I. He was the father of apostle Rudger Clawson.

Ann Clegg

Ann Clegg, Robert Clarkson's wife, was the daughter of Nathaniel Clegg and Ann Leaf Clegg. Ann was the 9th of 10 children. When she was born, only four children were still living. Mary, age 3, and John, age 2, the first two children died the same year in 1817. William died shortly after birth in 1822, and Elizabeth died at age 10 months. When Ann was born in 1832, her bothers and sisters were: Mary, age 13, Hannah age 11, William age 8, and John age 6. John drowned a few years later. Elizabeth, the last child was born in 1833 when her mother was 45 years old. The Clegg ancestors came from Wakefield, the center of the clothing trade, located in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Ann's brother William, was the first family member to join the church, soon to be followed by Ann and her parents. Hannah joined in 1853, and Elizabeth joined many years later in 1889. Elizabeth's first husband Richard Ridsdale probably had no interest in the church, but when Elizabeth was married to her second husband Richard Foster, she and her children joined the church in Hull. Mary had already married when the gospel was received in the Clegg home, and there is no indication that she ever joined the church. In 1851, Hannah Clegg lived at 55 Portland Street in Hull.

Family Group Sheet

Ann Leaf Clegg

Ann Leaf Clegg was Nathaniel's Clegg's wife, the mother of Ann Clegg. She joined the church in 1850, along with her husband. Nathaniel was a stone mason. Earlier in 1851, the Cleggs lived in Hull at West Parade and Spring Bank. At this time, they lived in Beverley. They moved back to Hull in August, 1853. She emigrated to the United States in 1862 with her daughter Hannah, a few months after the death of her husband. Sadly, she never saw Utah. She died while crossing the plains and was buried about 20 miles northwest of Laramie, Wyoming along the Platte River.

Family Group Sheet

Hannah Clegg

Hannah Clegg was Ann Clegg's older sister. Hannah emigrated to Utah in 1862 with her mother, Ann Leaf Clegg, but her mother died before reaching Utah. Two months after arriving to Utah, Hannah became a plural wife to Abraham Smith, the elder who baptized Robert Clarkson back in Beverely. She died in 1896.

Family Group Sheet

Nathaniel Clegg

Nathaniel Clegg is Ann Clegg's father. He and his wife joined the church around 1850. The Clegg ancestors came from Wakefield, the center of the clothing trade, located in the West Riding of Yorkshire. He and his wife joined the church around 1850 and were active members of the Hull branch. Nathaniel died in 1862 at the age of 72, a couple of months after his daughter Ann died in Salt Lake City. Nathaniel never emmigated to Utah.

Family Group Sheet

William Clegg

William Clegg was the first of the Clegg family to join the church, being baptized in October of 1850. He wrote much poetry, often published in the church's Millenial Star. After he emmigrated to Utah around 1864, he would sell subscriptions to his writings. He was eight years older than Ann (Robert Clarkson's wife). He died in 1903 at the age of 81.

Family Group Sheet

Mrs. Donkin

Ann's employer, Mrs Donkin. Ann's vocation was a milliner. A milliner is one who designs, makes, trims, or sells women's hats. During this time the hat industry was booming and had even developed a flourishing export trade. A master hat maker would probably employ eight to ten workers, who would work together in what was described as a "cottage industry." A small workshop would be attached to the house, in the same way as a dwelling house and shop are often combined premises. Silk hats were very popular.

W.C. Dunbar

William C. Dunbar was born 26 Oct 1822 in Scotland. He baptized many people in Lanark Scotland between 1841-1848 and then served a mission in England until 1852. He also served as the president of the French Mission 1854-1855 and converted Philip De La Mare, an early Utah industrial hero who helped bring sugar plant to Utah at John Taylor's request. This experiment with sugar in what came to be known as "Sugar House" in Salt Lake City turned out to be a failure. William C. Dunbar later became one of the founders of the daily Salt Lake Herald in Utah. A very interesting talk given by W.C. Dunbar is recorded in The Journal of Discourses. He sang many solos in General Conferences. He died on 9 June 1905.

George Ellis

George Ellis was Robert Clarkson's close friend from Hull during his youth years. George had been a member of the church, but left the church. Robert would write him letters of encouragement to come back to the gospel. George Ellis was born 11 May 1791 in Hull and joined the church a few months before Robert did, on 10 June 1849. He died a couple years after Robert met with him on this occasion.

William Empey

[Image of William]

William Empey was in the pioneer camp that first entered the Salt Lake Valley. He built and operated a ferry on the Platte river.

Hugh Findlay

[Image of Hugh]

Hugh Findlay was the conference president in Hull. He later served a mission in India. He emigrated to Utah in 1855, and returned as a missionary to England in 1878-80. He was a matchmaker and a cooper. In Hull, his buisness was on Waverley Street and in 1851 he lived at 7 Manchester Place. In 1879, he opened the church in the Shetland Islands.

Allen Findley

Allen Findley was an Elder in Beverley.

Mark Fletcher

Mark Fletcher was an Elder from Utah, severing in the Hull-Beverley Area. He ordained Robert Clarkson as a Priest.

John Forbes

John Forbes and his wife were close friends of the Clarkson's in Salt Lake City. They kindly took in his two daughters after his wife, Ann died.

Sister Foreman

Sister Foreman was a member of the church in Lockington, near Beverley. Robert only mentions her in his journal once.

Andrew Galloway

Andrew Galloway later was a member of a handcart pioneer company that arrived in Salt Lake City with provisions short, September 26th, 1856.

William Glover

William Glover was on the famous Mormon emigrant ship, Brooklyn, that sailed from New York to San Francisco, California in 1846. He left California for Utah in 1849. I later returned to England on this mission and served as the Pastor of Hull, New Castle and Carlisle Conferences from 1854-1855

William Gray

William Gray was a member of the church in Lockington, near Beverley.

Peter O. Hansen

Peter Olsen Hansen joined the church in 1843. In 1845, he worked on translating The Book of Mormon into Danish. He worked on the Nauvoo temple and left for Utah in 1847. At a conference in 1849, Apostle Erastus Snow was told to open the door of the gospel to the Scandinavian countries. He was accompanied from Salt Lake by Peter O. Hansen, a native of Denmark. Elder Hansen was the first to arrive in Copenhagen, where others arrived on the 14th of June, 1850. By August 12th, Elder Snow baptized in that city fifteen persons, and on September 15th organized a branch of the church composed of fifty members. On his mission in 1853, when he stopped in Hull, Elder Hansen again was going to Denmark. He returned at the end of 1854 with 463 saints emigrating for Utah. He later was employed by Heber C. Kimball on Antelope Island. There were about 600 horses on the island. He later moved to Provo, then to Manti.

J. Thomas Hardy

J. Thomas Hardy was the Conference President in Hull, Sept 1851 to May 1854. He died in Ogden, Utah, in 1862.

Appleton Milo Harmon

[Image of Appleton]

Appleton Milo Harmon was appointed as the pastor of the Hull, New Castle, and Carlisle Conferences on November 17, 1851. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1820, heard of Mormonism from Orson Hyde, and was baptized in 1833. He moved to Kirtland and later to Nauvoo. He served as a policeman in Nauvoo and was called upon to remove and destroy the printing press of The Expositor. He was in the first pioneer camp that arrived in the Salt Lake Valley. He was a "captain of ten." Appleton Harmon was a mechanic and along with William Clayton, invented the "odometer" that was used to measure the distance traveled by the pioneers each day automatically. He helped build and operate a ferry on the Platte River. He was a member of the 11th quorum of seventies and served his mission in England in 1850-53. He was later a bishop's councilor and was a sawmill operator of Salt Lake, Millard and Washington counties. He built a furniture factory at Toquerville and woolen mills at Washington, Utah. He fought in the Indian wars.

Caroline Harper

Caroline Harper was the wife of Joseph Harper, the Beverley Branch President from 1851-1853.

Joseph Harper

Joseph Harper was born on 11 Oct 1819 in Beverley. He was baptized on the same day as William and Mary Lark, on 25 Oct 1849. His wife was Caroline Harper, who was baptized a week later on 4 Nov 1849. He was the Beverley Branch President from 1851-1853.

John Herdsman

John Herdsman was 22, born 1 Sep 1830 in Barton, Lincolnshire, England. He was baptized 25 Mar 1851 by Edward Maw. He emigrated 11 Mar 1855.

Henry William Sutliff Hodgson

Henry William Sutliff Hodgson emigrated in 1866. He was a weaver, machinist, and father of six. They made their home in Salt Lake City.

Minnie Hough Hutchinson

Minnie Hough was the adopted daughter of Hannah Hough Clarkson, Robert Clarkson's third wife.

Isabella Clarkson Hutchinson

Isabella Clarkson Hutchinson, Robert's sister, was 30 years old at the time. The family records show no indication that she was baptized into the church.

Family Group Sheet

Hammal Hutton

Hammal Hutton was a member of the Beverley Branch who was visited by Robert Clarkson. She passed way in 1854.

Jefford Family

Brother and Sister Jefford were members of the church in Beverley. They were only mentioned once in Robert's journal.

Isaac Jenkinson

Isaac Jenkinson was the seven year old son for Sister Jenkinson who was always sick.

Sister Jenkinson

Sister Jenkinson was a member of the church in Beverley. She had a seven year old son, Isaac, who was constantly sick.

William Lark

[Image of William]

William Lark, a shoemaker, was born 15 Mar 1821. He married Robert's sister Mary Clarkson in 1843. William was fifteen years older than Robert, and was originally from Norfolk, England. He died 23 May 1885 in Woodland, UT.

Family Group Sheet

Mary Clarkson Lark

Mary Lark was Robert Clarkson's sister, married to William Lark.

Family Group Sheet

Thomas Lyon

Thomas Lyon was the President of the 3rd district of the NY branch in 1857 and later was the president of the New York Conference in 1858. Robert continued his friendship with him in Salt Lake city.

Thomas Margetts

Thomas Margetts was later killed by Cheyenne Indians, east of Fort Laramie in 1856 along with one of his children. His wife and another child were carried off by the Cheyenne.

Peter Maughan

Bishop Peter Maughan came to Utah in 1850, was a farmer, and served as a representative to the territorial legislature from Cache and Rich counties.

Edward Maw

Edward Maw was a shoe maker, farmer, and father of six children at the time. He later emigrated to Utah in 1862 and settled in Ogden.

Alexander McCray

Alexander McCray was Robert's bishop in Salt Lake during his difficult period of time, losing his wife Ann and going through his divorce of Sarah Rogers.

William Athol McMaster

William McMaster was a merchant in Salt Lake, and was the first rope-maker in Utah. He was a counselor of the bishopric in Robert's ward in Salt Lake. He was a polygamist and served a mission to Scotland later in 1868.

Robert Menzies

Robert Menzies was an Elder in the Bradford Branch.

Charles Nunn

Charles Nunn and his wife were members of the church in Beverley. He later moved to Hull in July of 1852.

William Parkinson

William Parkinson was a Cooper in Beverley, for whom Robert worked for, for a time.

William Pidcock

William Pidcock served as an Elder for a time in the Beverly branch. He later emigrated in 1854 and married Hannah Blench on the ship Marshfield. He settled in Ogden and later had three other wives He returned to England as a missionary in 1869-70. He served as a major in the Nauvoo Legion (in Utah) and was a blacksmith and merchant.

Elder Pursey Richards

Elder Pursey was a missionary from Utah who stopped in Hull on his way to a European country.

Samuel Whitney Richards

Samuel W. Richards served as the mission president from May 1852 to June 1854. He was born in Massachusetts in 1824, heard teachings of the church from George A. Smith and Brigham Young, and joined the church in 1838. He served as a missionary in New England and moved to Nauvoo in 1843. Back in 1844, when Joseph Smith was considering a movement to the west, Samuel W. Richards volunteered to go with the company to explore the west. Later in the same year he was appointed to serve a mission in Indiana. He served a mission to England in 1848, returned and arrived in Utah in 1849. In 1853, Samuel W. Richards, serving as the church printer in England, printed for Orson Pratt, Lucy Mack Smith's history of Joseph Smith. In 1855, he was a member of the Utah Territorial Legislature. In 1857, the Mormons in Utah faced a crisis when the United States Army marched to Utah to free the "suppressed people" from their leaders. Many rumors and lies about the Mormons arrived in Washington D.C. and President Buchanan decided to send the army to Utah to deal with "the Mormon Question." During this time which became known as "The Utah War," Samuel W. Richards was dispatched to England to carry instructions to Orson Pratt and Ezra T. Benson and all the "American elders" to return home. Elder Richards was also entrusted with a special express to President Buchanan, informing the president that his army could not enter Utah until satisfactory arrangements had been made by commission or otherwise. Arriving in England with the message, Elder Richards was appointed to take temporary charge of the European Mission. He remained president for four months and then returned to Utah. He continued to take an active part in the government in Utah and took a leading part in building the schools and seminaries of Utah in its early days.

Thomas Richardson

Thomas Richardson was a member of the church in Lockington, not far from Beverley.

Jacob Foutz Secrist

[Image of Jacob]

Jacob Foutz Secrist was born 1818 in Pennsylvania and was married in 1842, had four children and was a farmer. He and his wife joined the church in Pennsylvania, They moved to Nauvoo and on to Salt Lake in 1848. He was one of the first settlers of Farmington, Utah. (See Appendix B for picture.) Robert became very close to Elder Secrist.

Sister Smelt

Sister Smelt was a member of the church in Beverley. Robert Clarkson visited her, as part of his priesthood office.

Sister Stephenson

Sister Stephenson was a member of the church in Hull

Orson Spencer

[Image of Orson]

Orson Spencer presided over the British mission 1846-1848. In 1849, he arrived in Salt Lake valley and was appointed the chancellor of the University of Deseret which was the forerunner of the University of Utah. In 1852, he was appointed to his mission in Prussia. "In January, 1853, Elders Orson Spencer and Jacob Houtz arrived in Berlin, Prussia, but found that it was impossible to preach or publish the truth of the latter-day work in consequence of religious intoleration. These elders wrote to the king's ministers of public worship for permission to preach but were immediately summoned before the police court and catechised as to the object of their mission. They were ordered to leave the kingdom next morning, under penalty of transportation." (George A. Smith - church historian)

Martha Spencer

Martha Spencer was a faithful member of the church, in Beverley, the wife of Robert Spencer. She had difficulty accepting the doctrine of plural wives. She died in 1854 of consumption.

Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer was a faithful member of the church in Beverley who Robert Clarkson would visit as part of his priesthood duty. Robert's wife, Martha died in 1854.

Abraham Smith

Abraham Smith was an Elder from the Wincombe district in Hull. He was the man who baptized Robert Clarkson in 1850. He later married, Robert Clarkson's sister-in-law, Hannah Clegg. Abraham was born 31 July 1818 in Great Kelk, Yorkshire, England. He was baptized on 3 Sep 1848 by Henry Beecroft, and he later emmigrated to the U.S. about 1854.

John Paternoster Squires

John Paternoster Squires was born in England, 1820. He was converted by his brother Thomas in 1847. He emigrated to Utah in 1853 and returned to England as a missionary in 1873. He was a polygamist, went underground in the 1880s and served time in prison in 1888. He was pardoned by President Cleveland and died 13 Nov 1901.

John Taylor

This John Taylor was not the same John Taylor that became the third president of the Church. Elder Taylor was not in the Hull area at that time. The Hull Branch records reveal that there was a member of the church in Hull named John Taylor. He was born 6 Dec 1830 in Great Bolton, Lancashire, England and was baptized 27 Oct 1844 into the Hull Branch by William Walker. He baptized quite a few people in Hull during this time and later emigrated to the U.S. on 26 Jan 1852.

M. Thatcher

M. Thatcher was an elder in Hull. This was NOT Moses Thatcher who was the apostle, nor was it his father.

Christina Vernon

Christina Vernon was the daughter of Joseph Venobles Vernon, members of the church in Hull. She later married John Fewson Smith. Joseph Vernon already had emigrated in August of 1852. :i1.Smith, John Fewson

Joseph Venobles Vernon

[Image of Joseph]

Joseph Venobles Vernon was a new convert to the church in Hull. He was born on 16 Feb 1808 in Winsford, Cheshire, England. He was baptized on 8 Feb 1851 by Hugh Findlay. Joseph was an engineer who worked at Camphire Works in Hull. He lived in Britannia Cottage on Stephey Lane in 1851. He left Hull in February, 1852, and emigrated in Aug, 1852 with John Taylor, who was returning with $12,500 worth of sugar-making machinery. He was brought over to supervise the erection of the machinery. He spoke in the Salt Lake Tabernacle on March 16, 1856. Brigham Young later spoke and praised "Brother Vernon" and introduced him to the audience. "Brother Vernon is almost entirely unknown, because he has lived his religion, kept the commandments of God, and minded his own business." Joseph was an active worker in the church. He left Utah for Honolulu where he died.

Chauncy G. Webb

Chauncy Griswold Webb was born in 1811 in New York and trained to be a carriage and wagon-maker. In 1833 he joined the church and moved along with his parents to Kirtland where he opened a small wagon factory. He lost so heavily in the bank failure at Kirtland, that he moved west to Missouri in 1837 and settled at Adam-Ondi-Ahman. When the Mormons were expelled from the state, he crossed the river and set up shop in Payson, Illinois, moving later to Nauvoo. There he built a fine home and did a lively business during the years 1842-46, the demand for wagons and carriages for the move west being very great. He (or his wife, a school teacher) once served in Joseph Smith's home as a grammar teacher. Just before the exodus, he took a plural wife and came to Utah in 1848 as one of the most prosperous and best equipped of the company. Again he set himself up to manufacture wagons and buggies, and after he was well established took three additional wives. He was the father of Ann Eliza Webb, the wife who gave Brigham Young so much trouble. In 1875, soon after his daughter had filed her suit for divorce from Brigham Young, he was excommunicated from the church but was later restored to membership. He died in 1903.

Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams was the president of the Hull Conference 1853-1855.

Ann Yoaman

Ann Yoaman was born 15 Oct 1833 in Hull where she joined the church on 21 Jan 1849. Her records were transferred to Beverley on 17 Apr 1851.

If you see any problems with this website, feel free to contact our Webmaster.