Up to that time, most of the ships with Mormon emigrants sailed to New Orleans. The average trip from Liverpool to New York took 39 days. The ship on which the Clarkson family sailed was call the Cynosure. The voyage lasted 38 days. The Saints who traveled to New Orleans would then board river boats which would take them up the Mississippi River. However, to avoid the risk of contagious disease often encountered on the Mississippi, the saints stopped sailing to New Orleans in 1855, going instead to New York, Boston, or Philadelphia.
Robert payed his own way for sailing across the Atlantic, and did not have to rely on church funds. Some emigrants could afford to pay their own fares across the Atlantic and to buy the wagons, oxen, provisions and equipment necessary for the trek to Salt Lake Valley. Those who did so were called 'independent' emigrants. During this period Church agents helped these people by selling them everything required for their 'outfit' for crossing the plains, and by incorporating them into the Church's organization of emigrant companies. Other emigrants paid their own fares across the Atlantic and then stayed for some time at the port of entry while they earned enough to 'outfit' themselves for the trip west. This was the case with Robert and Ann, they were called 'States' emigrants, or 'ordinary' emigrants.
Robert and Ann's first child was born on January 28th, 1856, a daughter who they named Ann Elizabeth. She was born in Petersburg, NY. She died when Ruth was two days old, or disentary.
The Clarkson traveled in the Jesse Murphy company. Historical records show that Jesse Murphy's company consisted of 279 people, 40 wagons, left Florence on June 19th, and arrived August 30th. Evidently the group Robert's family traveled with were a couple of weeks behind the lead group.
The Larks lived in the 1st ward, on 8th South and 6th East, one block north of what now is Liberty Park. They had three children living at home.
His Cooper business was not going well, and the prospects looked good in the newly settled Cache Valley to the north. Robert left his two year old son with his sister, Mary Lark in Salt Lake City. Robert sold the house and lot for a team of white horses, a wagon, and a black cow that gave milk. On their way to Logan, they found out that one of the horses was balkey. They also found out it would not be forced, but would go by coaxing with grain. However, they reached Logan safely and camped in an old large slab shack that stood in the middle of the public square, just in back of where the Logan Tabernacle now stands, and in which they used to hold church meetings. Bishop Maughan, grandfather to Russell Maughan, the great aviator, permitted the family to camp there until they could get located. He also invited them all up to his home to supper that night, about one block away.
On December 7th, 1864, Robert probably attended a meeting called by Apostle Ezra T. Benson who was the president of Cache Valley. The subject of the meeting was to discuss the proposition of building a Tabernacle.
Robert rented a house of Fred Goodwin and the family lived there until their house on the new lot was built.
Robert obtained logs from the canyon and built a one room log house. The house was located one block north and a half block east of the north east corner of the Logan temple block, which was then a bare hill where Indians often had their tents and camped. One of the grave dangers during that time was Indian troubles. Great fires were built there on the hill, around which war dances were indulged in, while the settlers below feared and trembled for their lives. For weeks together the men had to help keep guard on the south side of the Tabernacle Square whenever the Indians were expected to enter town, even when not on the war path,, the Indians were extremely impudent. They walked into the homes and demanded what ever they saw, especially if it looked attractive to them.
The early days of the Logan Fifth Ward were days of hardships and little comfort. Practically all of the houses in the ward were dug-outs, that is, cellars sufficiently covered to shed water. These primitive houses furnished a little protection against the very hard winters of the sixties. One member of Robert's ward, Judge Brangham relates an experience about that time when he once woke up with two feet of water in the dug-out, soaking into his sleeping apartment. It took him all day to bail out the water.
An early settler of the ward stated, "Around that hill in the latter part of 1864, and the early part of 1865, a number of sturdy families settle. I say sturdy advisedly, for it was no small task to haul or pack water a long distance for both man and animals. To the west and North, a number of dwellings were erected; although humble they gave shelter to the settlers in the hard winter of the early sixties. These primitive cabins formed the nucleus of what has since continued the Logan Fifth Ward."
Also that year, work began on the Logan-Richmond canal. All who moved into that part of town were obliged to share in building the canal, and Robert probably helped out.
On April 19th, 1865, the entire territory of Utah mourned over the assassination of President Lincoln. The Mormon people greatly respected President Lincoln for his "let them alone" attitude toward the Mormons.
Ruth Clarkson was baptized in September of 1865. Robert first sat down and explained it all out to her and told her how she must always try to be good. She was baptized by Bishop P. Wolfinstein and probably confirmed by her father, Robert. She was one of the first people to be baptized in the Logan 5th Ward.
When the blizzards came up, snow would drift all over the room through cracks in the walls, and Robert lay sick in bed, the bedstead sitting in the middle of the room. A fireplace built in the east end of the room was their only way of warmth and where the cooking and baking was done. They made tallow candles for light.
During that winter a school house 20X16 feet was built. Everyone helped out to build it although Robert was probably too sick to lend a hand. Ruth and Ida attended the new school that winter. The school master, Adam McGill must have been a popular teacher, for occasionally he would take his fiddle to school and play a few lively tunes. It is recorded that some people thought that the school-master in the new school house taught more dance music than anything else.
In December, 1865 a Logan City Police force of 100 men was organized. Also during the month, President Brigham Young visited, asking the people for donations to buy material for a telegraph line.
A man brought some wheat for work done and when Robert lifted the heavy sacks and poured the dusty wheat into the bin, he started coughing.
Brigham Young's body was placed in state in the Tabernacle on September 1. where about 25,000 people passed by until the following day at noon when the funeral was held. Speakers at his funeral included John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Daniel H. Wells, Erastus Snow, and George Q. Cannon. The tabernacle chior sang. (Arrington, Jeonard J., Brigham Young American Moses, p.399-400).
George Q. Cannon was elected to congress in 1872. His defeated opponant tried unsuccessfully to have Congress refuse his seat. Elder Cannon served in congress until 1882 when congress voted to refuse his seat.
This was on Aug 4, 1878. President John Taylor attended and gave the speech found in Journal of Discourses 20:39-48. "I am very much pleased to see you meet in this beautiful house, and in possession of the privileges you enjoy; and you have a right to enjoy them, because you have made them yourselves. And then again, you did not make them yourselves, only as God assisted you...We should be prepared more understandingly to build temples, and to operate in them; we should be prepared to stand as saviors upon Mount Zion, and to perate with God and the holy angels, and with apostles and prophets who have lived before, and with the holy priesthood in the eternal worlds, as well as in this world, for the accomplishment of the purposes of God for the redemption and salvation of the living and the dead." He also spoke the united order and the importance of serving missions.
Ground was broken for the Logan Temple on May 18, 1877, while Ruth was still in Salt Lake City, by President Brigham Young and a large group of other general and local leaders. Four inches of snow had fallen during the previous night, and the day was brisk yet sunny. Someone in the congregation placed his coat on the ground so that Elder Orson Pratt would not have to kneel in the mud and snow as he offered the prayer dedicating the site.
The cornerstones were laid on September 17, 1877, under the direction of President John Taylor. Brigham Young had died on Aug 29th, 1877. This ceremony that Ruth describes was during the following year while construction was underway. (Cowan, Temples to dot the Earth, p. 84-85, Lundwall, Temples of the Most High, p.94-95)
They whitewashed the log house, cleaned and fixed it up the best they could, but every time the floor was scrubbed, the stink bugs would creep up the cracks by the walls all around, and run up the walls. They would take an old pan and stick and go around gathering them until the pan was half full, then carry them off in the road. They did this many times until they were gone. They milked two cows which belonged to the farm. They made butter but had not cellar. Ozro O. put in his crops, Ruth cooking dinner and carrying it to the field not far away, and the two would sit in the shade and eat their dinner.
Ruth probably was interested in hearing about what her respected friend, Elder George Q. Cannon preached about in conference. In January of that year, (1979), the Supreme Court of the United States ruled on the appeal of the George Reynolds case. George Reynolds had been convicted of bigamy. The Supreme Court upheld the ruling and sentence against George Reynolds, a two year term of hard labor in prison. Elder Cannon was a member of congress and gave a very long speach at this conference on the virtues of plural marriage, and caring for the many women who longed for a husband a children.
Also, President John Taylor (who still hadn't been sustained as the president of the church, but was the president of the Quorum of Twelve) spoke about the important work being performed in building the temple in Logan.
At the ground breaking ceremony for the Logan Temple, Brigham Young reminded the Saints that the temple would be constructed by volunteer labor and that "wages are entirely out of the question." Nevertheless, the temple can be built "without any burden to ourselves if our hearts are in the work, and we will be blessed abundantly in doing so. We will be better off in our temporal affairs when it is completed than when we commenced."
After the ground was broken for the Logan Temple in 1877 by Brigham Young, construction got under way immediately. Only two feet of dirt had to be excavated in order to reach bedrock. By September 1877, the seven-foot-wide foundations were in place, adn the temple's cornerstones were laid.
During the next several years, over two hundred men were almost constantly engaged in building the temple. Many were volunteers from the various towns in the area, each coming when assigned to donate his skill as a mason, carpenter, plasterer, or in some other way to help build the house of the Lord.
The Saints established their own quarries, sawmills, mechanical shops, and other facilities in order to supply as many materials as they could for the temple without having to use their scarce finances to purchase goods elsewhere. (Cowan, Temples to Dot the Earth, p. 85-86)
Even the heavy snows of Cache Valley winters did not halt work on the temple. More volunteer labor was available at this time of year, so stone, lumber, and other supplies were made ready for the coming building season.
On the 26th of June 1879, Ozro left his crops in the care of Bishop Jardine of Clarkston, and took his wife to his relatives in Logan, and he went to work on the railroad. He went to Idaho Falls, Idaho. At that time called Eagle Rock. It was then the terminus of Utah and Northern Railroad. He started making track at Market Lake, Idaho. It was near the Montana line when he went home October 4, 1879. He did very well on that job and saved money.
Soon after returning from the rail road, Ozro went to Clarkston to move his furniture and settle up with Bishop Jardine, and he found he had nothing coming on his crop as it took it all to harvest it. It was a very dry season.
One day while Ozro was piling lumber in the sawmill yard, away above his head, very suddenly he was prompted to step aside. He did so and he barely escaped being crushed by the large pile of lumber he had been piling, when it fell to the ground, and thus by his obeying the warning, his life was spared.
Even the heavy snows of Cache Valley winters did not halt work on the temple. More volunteer labor was available at this time of year, so stone, lumber, and other supplies were made ready for the coming building season. (Cowan, Temples to Dot the Earth, p. 87)
The farm was later known as Sand Crest, and it was south east of town, about a two mile trip. There was only one little store and there was a small log school house that stood on the east side of Worm Creek. The store was located on South State street between 1st and 2nd South, on the east side of State. The store also served as the town's post office.
Ruth later wrote: "The first years on the farm was hard times. The canals were not made and not water for the farms. Only one little store in Preston. Eggs were 10 cts. a dozen and better was 8 cts. a pound. At that time the flat where Preston now stands was a wide open space with a few houses scattered here and there and no trees. The only public gathering place was a log house with dirt roof East of Worm Creek on the brow of the hill which stood on the South part of Sern J. Peterson's farm. We attended Sunday School and meetings in that building."
The railroad was extended north out of Franklin to Preston in 1877. The Utah Northern Railroad was a narrow gauge system, the rails were placed 36 inches apart and weighed only 35 pounds per yard. The standard gauge system were 4 feet apart and the rails weighing well over 100 pounds per yard.
The first railroad building in Preston was a small section house on the north side of track about midway between State Street and 1st East.
Much effort was made during these early Preston years to divert the water from Worm Creek to the farms. In 1881 a canal was created to bring water from the Cub River to the Worm Creek. A ditch was completed and on July 4, 1881, watter was turned in the ditch and the whole community assembled at the head of the ditch for a celebration. A group of men followed the water all the way from the intake, cleaning out weeks, reinforcing any weak places along its corse. When the water began to come over the divide and rush down to the Worm Creek, they all took their hats off, and in a spirit of gratitude and thanksgiving they gave the "Hosanna Shout" three times.
Many difficulties yet remained to be solved to insure water suppoly because of breaks in the ditch which occurred quite often, and repair work seemed to be continuous form many years. But they made the repairs over and over again. The development of this water project was a major accomplishment of that early day.
After irrigation water became available, thousands of trees were planted, mostly the tall poplar, some boxelders and willlow trees. Long rows of poplar trees were planted along ditch banks, road ways, fence lines, and even foot paths. Within a few short years the whole district was transformed from a grass and rabbit brush landscape to that of a city of trees. Old timers recall the time when many visitors would comment upon the beauty of the setting, when the tall green trees of Preston could be seen for miles, and the cool shade was appreciated as a protection from the summer head blasts, and they served as a protection and wind break during the long winter seasons.
Ruth closed the year by writing a few lines composed by her dear husband. "Five years my darling you have been my wife. And may we together toil thru life, and when we meet on younder shor, may we still be husband and wife for ever more."
The first day of dedication of the Logan Temple took place on Saturday, May 17, 1884. The railroad offered special excursion rates, and the members opened their homes for lodging, local church leaders arranging for food. This was the first dedication that required tickets issued by bishops, only to the worthy. These tickets were personally countersigned by President John Taylor.
The temple's east doors opened at 10:00 and about 1500 people attended the first dedicatory session held in the large upper assembly room. George Q. Cannon, who Ruth would have loved to hear speak, was the first speaker. He proclaimed, "Heaven itself and our co-workers of the past are delighted with the accomplishment of this temple." Elder Wilford Woodruff testified that Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and the Savior were especially interested in the dedication of this temple, "if the veil were taken from our eyes we would behold their faces..."
After the service, attendees were permitted to see other parts of the temple. They were led in procession by Presidents Taylor and Cannon. As they exited the building, brass bands played in celebration.
Additional session were held on Sunday and Monday and about 3500 more tickets were issued. At one session, President John Taylor noticed a woman, whom he did no know coming into the assembly room. He instructed President Charles O. Card that she wasn't worthy, to not let her in. He said the Spirit of God had told him. Sure enough, she admitted that she had purchased the ticket for one dollar from a man on the street.
President Taylor instructed that temple workers should not be employed on a permanent basis. Rather men and women should be chosen "who can leave their farms for a season and supply their own necessities for living and doing their work without being dependent on the Temple for their sustenance." The first ordinances were performed two days after the dedication. (Cowan, Temples to Dot the Earth, p. 88-90)
Bishop Nahum B. Porter
On June 1, 1884, the Cache Stake was divided and the new Onieda Stake was created with headquarters in Franklin. Apostle Moses Thatcher organized the new state and called William D. Hendricks as the stake president.
Bishop William C. Parkinson
At this time, the Preston Ward also received a new bishop, as Bishop Porter was released. The new Bishop was called on June 2, 1884 and was William C. Parkinson. A meeting was probably held on Monday the 2nd in Preston, which Ozro and Ruth most likely attended.
The "old meeting house" was also the first school house that was errected in the Preston area in 1879. It was a log structure, east of Worm Creek, up the hill from "Creamer Hollow" about 1/2 mile south and 1 1/4 east of Preston, probably not far from the Crockett farm. It was 16 X 18 feet, with a pine floor and a dirt roof, with a window in the east side and a window in the west side, and a door in the south end. There is now a monument on this spot errected by the "Daughters of the Pioneers." The inscription reads: "This marks the site of Preston's first school house, built in 1879." The Crockett children were still too young to attend this school, but their church meetings were held there.
During this early period of schools in Preston (before 1885), the teachers were not paid a regular salary for their services. They usually received a tuition at the rate of one dollar per month, per child. However, the fee was usually paid in the form of produce.
The new meeting house was built with the logs from the old school house and was located on South state street at near 3rd South. The building was later moved to where the Safeway and Grand Theater were (are?) located. This building again doubled as a school house and the Crocketts attended church there until 1902 when their ward was divided. This building was taken down in 1929. The original logs used in the first building were used in building a log pioneer relic house that was errected in Preston City Park in 1930.
A Blessing given by Joel Ricks, Patriarch, upon the head of Ruth Clarkson Crockett, daughter of Robert Clarkson and Ann Clegg Clarkson, born September 12th, 1857, at New York.
Sister Ruth: In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I place my hands upon they head to seal upon thee a Patriarchal blessing. Thou art a lawful heir to all the blessings that appertain to the New and Everlasting Covenant; and thou art of the blood of Ephraim; and I seal upon thee all the blessings that were promised to the children of Abraham.
The eye of the Lord is over thee for good and thou art entitled to all the blessings that pertain to the New and Everlasting Covenant. You are to pass through many hardships for the Gospel's sake, but thou shalt have strength to bear thee up under all tribulations, for thou shalt be enabled to endure all the trials and tribulations that thou shalt have to pass through. Thou shalt have the comforting influence of the Holy Spirit to be and abide with you.
I seal all these blessings upon your head with the blessings of eternal life, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, even so, Amen.
Patriarch Joel Ricks died in Logan on Dec 15, 1888.
The 55th annual conference of the Church convened in Logan, Utah, Franklin D. Richards presiding. It was continued three days. On the second day (April 5th), an epistle from the First Presidency was read, and a committee was appointed to draft a petition to the President of the United States, praying for protection against the tyrannical acts of the Federal officials in Utah.
Elder Richards commented: "No matter how much you are worried, no matter how much you are aggravated by the acts of the ungodly, do not do a thing that you could afterwards be sorry for. Do nothing that could let blood stick to one of you. Bear with every impious insult. Put up with it as Christ did when he was hanging upon the cross and his life's blood oozing out from his heart, and his spirit ready to depart, and say 'Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.' (JD 26:172)
On July 13, 1885, the Preston Ward Bishop, Nahum Porter was arrested because of plural marriage. He was sentenced to three months in prison and $150 fine.
The Relief Society and Priesthood Quorums often held their meetings and classes in the homes of people during this time. Som of the auxiliary organizations (like the Y.M.M.I.A.) also held their services and meetings in the homes of many who lived east of the Worm Creek and far from the central meeting place at Preston.
In March 1887, the Edmunds-Tucker Act was passed. Wives were required to testify against their husbands, and all marriages were to be publicly recorded. Women's suffrage was abolished. The Perpetual Emigrating Fund was dissolved, as was the Nauvoo Legion, and a public education system was established. The Church was disincorporated and all property valued over $50,000 owned by the church, was turned back to the US. (Church History in the Fulness of Times, p. 433-4)
On June 1, 1887, the Oneida Stake was created. William D. Hendricks was called to be the first president.
On July 25, 1887, President John Taylor died while in exile. Marshals were present at his funeral, but no arrests were made. Wilford Woodruff, who was not the presiding authority in the church, was in hiding.
On November 5, 1887, the Oneida Stake President, Willaim D. Hendricks was released because he was forced into hiding because he had more than one wife. George C. Parkinson from Franklin, was called to be the new stake president.
During 1888, Ozro O's father, Alvin was arrested on the charge of having two wives. He was found guilty and sentenced to six months in jail. Many of the men escaped and were not caught nor jailed. But Alvin did not think it was right to run away from things. He had always been taught to face the difficulties that come, like a man. "It isn't what happens to you that counts, but what you do about it." He served his sentence rather than to have to hide out all the time and be hunted by the police continually. He was allowed three months off for good behaviour and had to pay a fine as well. He was in the penitentiary from Monday 13 Feb. 1888 until Thursday 24 May 1888.
Most of the Saints who were convicted were sent to Utah's territorial penitentiary, where they were model prisoners. THey were often found studying the gospel, writing books, or teaching the other prisoners reading, writing, and other neglected skills. When someone was released, community parties were held and tributes given to those who had preferred the laws of God to those of man. (Church History in the Fulness of Times, p. 428-9)
The public dedication of the Manti Temple was scheduled to begin on Monday, May 21, 1888. However, because of the bitter persecution raging over plural marriage, most of the church leaders were in hiding. Thus, a private dedication was first held. President Woodruff met in the temple several days with other leaders and offerred a dedicatory prayer on May 17th, 1888. Before leaving the temple, President Woodruff "consecrated upon the Altar the seers Stone that Joseph Smith found by revelation and which was carried by him through life." Early Monday, May 21, 1888, the saints gathered on the hill east of the temple and were admitted into the building. The service began at 11:00 and Lorenzo Snow presided. Similar services were held on the following two days. In the evening of the first day, children too young to attend one of the regular dedicatory services were invited to tour the temple. Remarkable spiritual experiences were reported. On May 22nd, when John W. Taylor was speaking, a bright halo surrounded him, and in that halo were seen Brigham Young and John Taylor and a third person believed to be Joseph Smith. Jedediah M. Grant was seen standing by his son Heber J. Grant. (Cowan, Temples to Dot the Earth, p. 96-98)
In April 1889, Wilford Woodruff was sustained as the fourth president of the church. George Q. Cannon and Joseph F. Smith were sustained as his counselors.
The Edmunds Act was passed in 1882. Many LDS men, and even some women, had to go "underground" to avoid arrest. To avoid incarceration, codes were made up to warn polygamist fathers of the approach of federal officers. The warnings could be sent by telegraph and would have no meaning if confiscated by federal authorities.
At times officials became obsessed in their harassment of the Saints. US Marshal Fed T. Dubois, in an attempt to use anti-Mormonism for his own political ends in Idaho, crawled into hidden holes under houses, commandeered trains to make trips to Mormon centers, slipped into LDS towns, and raided homes during the night in an attempt to capture polygamous men. In order to avoid arrest, the bishop of the Oxford ward, left town at "night stowed away in a box marked pork, Ogden freight." He remained twenty-four hours in the box before being set free by a Brother Nesbitt. Then in the night he made his way to Ogden. (Church History in the Fulness of Times, p. 427-8)
On June 9, 1889, the Preston Ward was divided. To the north, the Glendale branch was created and to the far south east, the Whitney Ward Ward was created. David C. Ames was called to be the new first counselor in the Preston Bishopric because Geroge T. Benson was called to be the new bishop in Whitney.
On July 2, 1889 the corner stone was laid for the Oneida Stake Academy where many of the Crockett children would attend school. John Nuffer was the supervisor in the construction of the new building. The Nuffer brothers were experienced rock cutters, and from the rock quarry on the Nuffer homestead on the divide between Cub River and Worm Creek (upper Glendale), the yellow rock as well as the white rock for the trim were obtained and hauled to the building site by men who were called on special missions by the church autorities.
On July 29, 1889, by a decision of the stake council attended by President Wilford Woodruff, it was decided to make Preston the headquarters of the Oneida Stake.
In September 1890, President Wilford Woodruff was shown by revelation exactly what would take place if plural marriage did not cease. The temples would be taken, ordinances would be ceased both for the living and the dead. The First Presidency and Twelve would be imprisoned. Personal property would be confiscated. Thus, he issued the manifesto that abolished the practice of plural marriage. In October, 1990 conference, the manifesto was read and voted on. President George Q. Cannon testified that the manifesto was from God and was supported by the General Authorities.
In 1890, Idaho was granted statehood, with a population of about one-fifth LDS. Some historians have suggested that without the Mormon population, Idaho's land would have been annexed by adjoining states and it would have never become a state.
The Oneida Stake Academy was later known as the Preston High School. The basement was partly finished and a temporary roof put over. They would attend school in the fall after the farm work was done, and leave as soon in the spring that work could be commenced.
During this time, baptisms for the living were performed in the temple's too. Edwin had just turned eight.
"The near approach of the date for the dedication of the Temple of our God moves us to express with some degree of fulness our feelings to our brethren...to the end that in entering that holy building we may all be found acceptable ourselves, with our households and that the building which we shall dedicate may also be acceptable unto the Lord...
"We feel now that a time for reconciliation has come; that before entering into the Temple to present ourselves before the Lord in solemn assembly, we shall divest ourselves of every harsh and unkind feeling against each other; that not only our bickerings shall cease, but that the cause of them shall be removed, and every sentiment that prompted and has maintained them shall be dispelled; that we shall confess our sins one to another; that we shall plead with the Lord for the spirit of repentance, and having obtained it, follow its promptings; so that in humbling ourselves before Him and seeking forgiveness from each other, we shall yield that charity and generosity to those who crave our forgiveness that we ask for and exprect from Heaven....
"Asking God's blessing upon you all in your endeavor to carry out this counsel, and desirous of seeing it take the form of a united effort on the part of the whole people, we suggest that Saturday, March 25, 1893, be set apart as a day of fasting and prayer." (Messages of the First Presidency, 3:241-44)
A photo tent destroyed by storm
Ruth must have read this report in the newspapers. A local newspaper reported a "wind velocity of sixty miles per hour. This is the hightest velocity every recorded at Salt Lake station." The storm lasted until the dedication service was over. In the Deseret News was this report: "A SINGULAR CIRCUMSTANCE--A Flock of Sea Gulls Hover About the Temple Spires During the Storm. During the violence of the storm today the attention of many people was directed to a flock of about one hundred sea gulls which hovered about the Temple spires. At times the wind would carry them a considerable distance away but as soon as there was a lull they would immediately fly back and circle about the sacred structure which they continued to do until about 12:30, when they disappeard to the northwest." (6 April 1993)
The AP wire service reported: "The throng of visitors in the city was augmented by large delegations arriving on every train. Excursion trains are arriving hourly. The principal streets are packed with visiting saints and visitors from all directions." (L.A. Times, 6 April 1893)
The night before they attended the dedication, Ozro and Ruth probably followed the counsel expressed by President Woodruff in the recently concluded conference: "I have a request I wish to make of this assembly of Latter-day Saints....I have a desire in my heart that every one of you, the night before you go into the Temple, before retiring to rest, will go by yourselves, in secret prayer. Offer up your prayers to the Lord, and pray that your sins may not only be forgiven, but that you may all have the Spirit of God and the testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ; that the Spirit of God may be with those who assemble in that Temple."
There were many spiritual manifestations reported during the dedication. After the first day of dedication, President Woodruff told a congregation of Saints that "the Heavenly Host were in attendance at the dedication...and if the eyes of the congregation could be opened they would have seen Joseph and Hyrum, Brigham Young, John Taylor and all the good men who had lived in this dispensation assembled with us, as also Esaias, Jeremiah, and all the Holy Prophets and Apostles who had prophesied of the latter day work....They were rejoicing with us in this building which had been accepted of the Lord and when the Hosanna shout had reached the throne of the Almighty," they too had joined in the joyous shout. (Every Stone a Sermon, p. 71)
This was a great surprise to both members and non-members. In the Salt Lake Tribune: "A genuine surprise on the city yesterday afternoon. People to the number of about 5,000, mostly gentiles, visited the temple yesterday evening by special invitations issued by the Mormon Church Authories." The Tribune said that many people who knew the temple would be closed to them following the dedication rushed "to take advantage of the privilege if possible." The tour was very much appreciated and enjoyed by those who visited the building. "The interior was a revelation of beauty" the article stated, "from the first to the last apartment." (Every Stone a Sermon, p. 64)
Eight days later, on 15 April, Emma Bennett returned to the temple with her husband, Benjamin, and new son for a special blessing. In the blessing, Joseph F. Smith named the baby boy Joseph Temple Bennett.
In 1894, a doctor advised Archie and Lydia to go to either California or Arizona for her health (she had inflammatory rheumatism and an organic heart ailment.) Several friend and relatives had gone to Gila Valley in Arizona so they decided to move there. They left in July of 1894. Archie at the age of 37 was badly crippled and Lydia, age 36 was so ill that much of the time she had to rest in bed mounted on one of the wagons. It took them 12 weeks to reach their destination.
Also in 1894, the Oneida State Academy building was completed.
In November, 1896, the church announced a change affecting the church meeting schedule. No longer would a Fast meeting be held on the first Thursday of the month. It would now be held on the first Sunday of the month. The church leaders issued this statement:
"For many years these meetings were well attended, and they were of a most interesting character, and were a comfort and a strength to all who shared in them, as it was the practice for persons of both sexes to bear their testimony and take active part in them in each ward under the direction of the bishopric.
"As the years rolled by, conditions changed, and it became more difficult for the people generally, and especially those in steady employment, to attend these meetings, until at the present time they have dwindled to such an extent that comparatively few have the opportunity of attending them. Thursday as a day of fasting and prayer in the Church no longer serves the object for which it was intended.
"Our attention has been called to this subject, and after mature deliberation, it has been decided to change the day that has heretofore been devoted to this purpose. Instead of the customary assemblages in the various wards throughout Zion on the first Thursday in each month, we have concluded to set apart the first Sunday in every month as the day for the regular fast meeting." (Deseret News, 7 November 1896)
Also in 1896, women were granted to right to vote in Idaho.
They left Preston via train, April 1st and stopped off in Logan to visit Ozro's parents and relatives. On April 3rd, they left Logan on the train and arrived in Salt Lake that afternoon. Ozro was set apart for his mission by B.H. Roberts. See Ozro's missionary journal for his blessing and his mission adventures. On the 10th, he left for the East.
On Aug 12, 1897, Ozro received a letter from home telling him the painful news that Ruth was suffering with a weakness which she had been troubled with since bearing the baby over a year earlier. In October, 1897 he mentioned that Ruth was suffering very much from a sick headache and stagnation of the blood.
On Dec 28th, 1897, Ozro received from home a money order for ten dollars. He had his coat and vest cleaned and pressed, his pants mended for one of those dollars.
During 1897, Edwin worked for Merrill Brother's Creamery and drove a team from Preston to Richmond each day hauling cream and cheese.
The week of 24 July 1897 was set aside as a special jubilee celebration, the fiftieth anniversary of the Saints' arrival in the Salt Lake Valley. the festivities in Salt Lake City opened with the unveiling of the Brigham Young monument before about 50,000 people.
On August 7, 1898, the bishop of the Preston Ward, William C. Parkinson, was called to be the Stake President of the new Pocatello Stake. Parts of the Oneida and Malad stakes were combined to create this stake. Preston remained in the Oneida stake. Bishop Parkinson evidently moved as part of this call. The new bishop called was, John Larsen who had a merchandise store.
One month before this, on 2 Sept 1898, President Wilford Woodruff died in San Francisco. Lorenzo Snow took over the leadership, as president of the church.
Ozro wrote in his journal on June 6th, 1899: "I received a letter from home with the sad news of my dear Mother's death. It was a great disapointment to me as I had treasured up the fond hope that I would return home in time to again see her. Although it seemed almost selfish for me to want her to live unless she could get well, as she had suffered so long and so much. She died on June 1st. May the good Lord bless my poor Father and my Bros and sisters that we may bear up under the great loss."
It was during 1899, when President Lorenzo Snow received his revelation regarding the law of tithing. Great, new emphasis was put on this law and it became a requirement in order to attend the temple.
Ruth was surely saddened when she received the news when President George Q. Cannon died on April 10, 1901.
On Oct 10, 1901 in Salt Lake City, President Lorenzo Snow died and on Oct 17, 1901, Joseph F. Smith became the next president of the church.
An article appearing in the Logan paper upon the death of Alvin Crockett: "People in town were startled yesterday morning by the news of Alvin Crockett's death. In fact it has been a long time since such surprise was evidenced by Logan people. Their chief reason for this was the fact that Mr. Crockett was on Main Street on the evening previous, apparently in the best of health and spirits.
He showed not the slightest symptom of illness when he retired on Tuesday evening, but during the night he awakened his daughter Althea by inquiring for some pepper, stating that his stomach pained him. Never dreaming anything serious, Miss Crockett found it and then went to sleep again. When she arose yesterday morning and went downstairs she found her parent sitting in an arm chair, quite dead. Death had evidently come swiftly and painlessly, for the features of the dead man were serene and peaceful.
Thus passed away another of the little group of Cache Valley pioneers, which death has greatly thinned during the past decade. Alvin Crockett was an honest man and more cannot be written of any man save the great Nazarene. A quiet, unassuming citizen, loyal to his country and to his convictions. He was honored and admired as man of worth and character by all who knew him.
He was father of 18 children, 16 of whom survive him. Funeral arrangements have not yet been perfected, but the services will probably take place on Saturday.
On July 25, 1903 in Preston, Ozro and Ruth's first grandchild was born. A son was born into the family of Edwin and Lena. They named him Clyde Peterson Crockett.
On May 5, 1905, A son was born to David and Clara in Preston. They named him David Gerald Crockett.
On Oct 6th, 1906, the second child, a daughter was born into the family of Edwin and Lena in Preston. They named her Ona Crockett.
She did a great amount of good among the saints, many of them had never seen an LDS woman from "Zion." They visited all of the branches of the Church in that Conference, also many of the large cities of England. On their return, Edwin secured employment at once with Studebaker Bros. He was made manager in Bancroft Territory. Later, he was made manager in Preston.
On June 7, 1909, George R. and Polly had their first child born in Preston, a daugher. They named her Thora Crockett.
On Nov 12, 1909 a third child, a son was born into the family of Edwin and Lena in Preston. They named him Russell Crockett.
On March 24, 1913, in Preston, the first child, a son, was born into the family of Mary and Luther Neufer. They named him David Glen Neufer. He was Ozro and Ruth's thirteenth grandchild.
In 1906, the church started holding adult classes in the Sunday School.
The first Primary was first organized in 1878 and started spreading into the settlements. The Primary's Children's Friend was first published in 1902.
Earl was Clyde's uncle, but they were both the same age, eleven years old at the time.
On September 8, 1914, the First Presidency of the church issued this proclamation to the church: " In accord with the request of the President of the United States that on Sunday, October 4th, 1914, prayers be offered in all the churches throughout the land in behalf of peace for the nations now at war, we hereby call upon the Latter-day Saints to observe that day as a day of prayer for peace, both in their family devotions and their public services. We deplore the calamities which have come upon the people in Europe, the terrible slaughter of brave men, the awful sufferings of women and children, and all the disasters that are befalling the world in consequence of the impending conflicts, and earnestly hope and pray that they may be brought to a speedy end. JOSEPH F. SMITH, ANTHON H. LUND, CHARLES W. PENROSE, First Presidency." (Messages of the First Presidency, 4:310)